Summer is over, our vacation was wonderful, and now it’s time to buckle down and get back to school. This year we are doing the bulk of our school subjects all together during our Circle Time, with the oldest two guys (15 and 13) popping in for our prayer time and the book we’re currently reading- Practical Happiness: A Young Man's Guide to a Contented Life.
I recently read When People Are Big and God is Small and it made a huge impact on me. We decided to make Isaiah 33:6 our theme verse for the year, and so we begin today by making a banner to hang with that verse reminding us Whom we are to fear. Our Scripture memory for the fall also reflects the fear of God.
- Theme: Isaiah 33:6
"Wisdom and knowledge will be the stability of your times,
And the strength of salvation;
The fear of the LORD is His treasure."
- Song, currently working on several Psalms
- Draw To Learn the Book of Proverbs (yes, we're still working on this)
- Sunday Advent Countdown Calendar (scroll down the page and click on the link under "Educational Helps")
- Scripture Memory:
- Ruth Heller Grammar books: the younger ones illustrate the words while the older ones illustrate, define, and create sentences.
- Grammar Ace: Sonlight’s sole grammar curriculum, we’ll use this one to reinforce concepts and to shake things up a bit.
- Word of the Day: the younger ones illustrate the words while the older ones illustrate, define, and create sentences.
- The Mystery of History, Year Two (Mondays and Tuesdays)
- Science Units (Wednesdays and Thursdays) (see Elizabeth Foss's beautiful Serendipity blog for unit studies)
Ponds & Frogs
Rocks and Minerals
- Gratitude Journals- we'll be journaling all we're thankful for... more on these later...
It looks like a ton of stuff, doesn’t it? I’m calculating 2 hours when I look at it all, and I’ve allowed for 2 hours and 15 minutes on our flow chart. We need the extra cushion because we pretty much never do things exactly as the schedule plans. The schedule is there to serve me, and I refuse to be run by it. Still, if I didn’t have Circle Time written down, all of these ideas would never leave my head. I just can’t think on my feet anymore. Hmmm, I wonder why?