20 Our soul waits for the LORD;
He is our help and our shield.
21 For our heart shall rejoice in Him,
Because we have trusted in His holy name.
22 Let Your mercy, O LORD, be upon us,
Just as we hope in You.
We just met with the doctors (his main doctor and a kidney specialist). Overall the status is the same, Joe is still very sick and the demeanor of the doctors is one of heightened concerned. We've exchanged some good and bad results in the last 24 hours.
Here is what's better:
1. Last night, the ER in our home town reported that he tested positive for E.Coli (which would have meant a dual infection - bacterial and viral - very bad!). They called back today after further cultures revealed it was negative. Praise the Lord for His goodness!
2. This morning he opened his eyes when we visited him and he's been crying (yesterday he acted sedated all day). We still can't hold him, but he generally looks better!
3. His urine output has slightly increased!
1. Kidneys - The nephrologist believes the virus has caused them to stop functioning. It's all based on urine output. They are trying two medications today, but he prepared us for dialysis beginning tomorrow or Monday. No idea how long he will need it or when his kidneys will start again. They are giving him two medications today to increase urine output. PRAY FOR PEE!
2. Blood - He has a blood infection. It has decreased his ability to clot. He also has capillary leakage, meaning the fluids are leaking out of his tiny vessels into his body. That has led to swelling and other problems.
3. Lungs - He has fluid on his lungs (due to the capillary leakage). He's currently on room air, but if fluids and pressure increase, He may need oxygen and a ventilator as the days go on.
4. Heart - He has an infection which has damaged the muscle tissue of his heart. They are treating him with IV antibodies.
5. Brain - They are still monitoring him for seizures due to a brain infection. They still expect some brain damage. The neurologist will come and read the report later today and potentially stop the EEG.
Joe looks better than yesterday! He is crying more, he is not as swollen and he has opened his eyes and even taken the pacifier.
Continue to pray for Joe's immune system to kick in and overcome this virus! Pray for all the systems to improve and return to normal!